Shop owner attacked by ‘machete’ in West Belfast
Just weeks after the Freedom from Fear campaign was launched by shopworkers union USDAW, and a new law was introduced in Scotland to protect shop owners and staff from abuse and attacks – news of a horrifying ordeal faced by one convenience store owner in West Belfast stunned local residents.
A man allegedly attacked the west Belfast shop owner with a brush before returning with a ‘machete.’
‘Brandishing a blade’
The man charged with the attack is 29 year old David Porter. He is accused of brandishing the blade within minutes of being put out of the convenience store.
Police said a customer helped defend the shop owner, fighting off the machete wielding attacker at Whiterock Drive on Sunday 29th August.
Porter is charged with common assault, possessing an offensive weapon in public and having a bladed article.
Belfast Magistrates Court was told Porter became involved in a verbal confrontation with the shop owner who had previously barred him, according to a report in the Irish News.
“It is alleged that the defendant struck him on the shoulder with a floor brush,” a PSNI officer said.
“He left, but returned a few minutes later wielding a machete-type knife and shouting aggressively.”
At that point a customer intervened to aid the owner, according to the police case.
Porter was detained at a house in the area a short time later. Defence solicitor Philip Breen told the court his client accepted getting into a row over being barred from the shop.
However, Porter categorically denies having a blade at any stage.
“He was arrested shortly afterwards and no machete was recovered at that home,” Mr Breen stressed. “He’s adamant that it’s not true, he didn’t use a machete.”
Bail was refused and District Judge Mark McGarrity remanded Porter in custody to appear again in a week.